Was there really a tunnel under Boscombe for transporting tigers and polar bears?

THE local legend of a tunnel running from Boscombe Hippodrome to King’s Park has surfaced again.

from Bournemouth Echo | Echoes http://ift.tt/1Ahkhn5

How Vesta Tilley inspired Winter Gardens audience to go to war

During the First World War popular music hall star Miss Vesta Tilley inspired many men to sign up for the army and fight for their country.

from Bournemouth Echo | Echoes http://ift.tt/1sGeKWF


Advertising Feature

from Dorset Echo | Looking Back http://ift.tt/1yWpLQ3

Young Christian Women’s Association photograph identified

THANKS so much to Christine Ford for getting in touch after recognising herself in this photo of the Weymouth Young Christian Women’s Association, which held its meetings at Sidney Hall.

from Dorset Echo | Looking Back http://ift.tt/1uNeYoY

Young man who made his mark on Weymouth

FOR those who aren’t familiar with the story of the origins of the Sidney Hall, in Looking Back today we bring you a tale of a young man who made a mark on Weymouth and was the catalyst for constructing this iconic building.

from Dorset Echo | Looking Back http://ift.tt/1uNeXRX

Big Ideas: The Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Cultural Value Project

The Arts and Humanities Research Council’s Cultural Value Project was set up late in 2012 to address the dissatisfaction with the ways in which we understand and articulate the benefits of arts and culture. These tended to concentrate on the publicly-funded arts and, for that reason, were shaped by the demands of advocacy.

For the same reason they increasingly came to focus on the economic benefits because it was believed that that was what governments wished to hear. Professor Geoffrey Crossick presents an overview of the project. His talk indicates the range of research that it has funded and, in doing so, identifies the projects that have focused on archives, heritage and history.

Professor Geoffrey Crossick is Director of the AHRC’s Cultural Value Project and Distinguished Professor of Humanities in the School of Advanced Study at the University of London. He is a historian and his main area of research has been the urban social history of 19th and 20th century Britain and continental Europe.

from The National Archives Podcast Series http://ift.tt/1BD3Mnj

Forget the #weatherbomb – here are 24 pictures of the worst snow Dorset’s ever seen

As the north of Britain battens down the hatches for what’s sure to be known as the Great WeatherBomb of 2014, we’ve been raiding the archives for legendary weather events of days gone by.

from Bournemouth Echo | Echoes http://ift.tt/1B9hlrB

Alice Fry, the first ever postwoman in Britain who came from Bournemouth

DURING the Great War as the men from the Bournemouth area enlisted to fight for the cause abroad, women also played their part, including Mrs Alice Fry and Miss Mary Jefferies.

from Bournemouth Echo | Echoes http://ift.tt/1GdfKno

Cows on the carriageway to reptiles being rescued – a history of Bournemouth’s A338 Spur Road

ONE of the busiest roads in Dorset was already being described as worn-out five years ago.

from Bournemouth Echo | Echoes http://ift.tt/1x1LkmG

Writer of the month: Stories from behind the Berlin Wall

Hester Vaizey discusses her latest book, Born in the GDR: Living in the Shadow of the Wall, which reveals the everyday lives of citizens of the former German Democratic Republic.

The National Archives is again hosting a series of monthly talks to broaden awareness of historical records and their uses for writers. Each month, a high-profile author will talk about using original records in their writing.

Hester Vaizey is a University Lecturer in Modern German History and a Fellow of Clare College, Cambridge. Her book Surviving Hitler’s War: Family Life in Germany 1939-1948, was shortlisted for the Women’s History Network Prize and won the Fraenkel Prize for Contemporary History.

from The National Archives Podcast Series http://ift.tt/1tYFN9f

« Older entries


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.