Gaer Hill Church, 1858

The following is a copy of an article extracted from the Somerset & Wilts Journal of 28th August 1858, by Cecil Smith who lived at Gaer Hill from his birth in 1904 until his death in 2002. The old church stood on the site of the Old School House and was thatched. Although still marked on the OS map as a church, the building is now a private residence.

Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Witham Friary, Somerset, 1891

This description of Witham Friary, Somerset in 1891 was published in Somersetshire, part of the County Topographies series edited by E.R. Kelly.

Read the rest of this entry »