John Thomas Woolrych Perowne was born on June 1, 1863 the eldest son of the Right Reverend John James Stewart Perowne who was at that time Vice-Principal of St David’s College, Lampeter, Wales and his wife Anna Maria Woolrych.
Educated at Haileybury School he was admitted to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge on October 2, 1882 where he obtained a B.A. in 1885 and an M.A. in 1889.
In 1889 he is recorded as a Lieutenant in the 1st Volunteer Batallion of the Northamptonshire Regiment and in 1894 as a Captain.
John married Edith Marione Browne in 1896 at St George Hanover Square, London. A son, John Victor Thomas Woolrych Tait Perowne was born in 1897
In 1898 Scientific Press published his book ‘Russian Hosts and English Guests in Central Asia’, An account of a journey made in two months over the Transcaspian Military Railway in Russian Central Asia: Bokhara, Baku, Merv & Samarkand.
1899 saw the arrival of a daughter, Rosabelle Maud Iona Charlotte Perowne who was to be followed by two sons, Lancelot Edgar Connop Mervyn Perowne on June 11,1902 and Christopher Terence Reginald Cuthbert Perowne in 1904.
John served in the Great War, 1914-1919 as a Lieutenant-Colonel, Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force). In 1914 he was listed at both Exeter and Plymouth as Major & Hon. Lt/Colonel, 4th Wessex Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.
On April 29, 1918 John is recorded arriving at New York aboard the S.S. Canada from Glasgow. He was travelling on a diplomatic passport enroute to the British Embassy in Washington D.C. The ships manifest also reveals that he had been in the United States before in 1883 when he had visited Chicago. He is described as 5 feet 11 inches tall, of fair complexion, with brown hair and blue eyes.
From 1919 to 1921 Joh was an Acting King’s Messenger. He was Gold Staff Officer at the coronation of King George VI, in 1937. He was Registrar & Hospitaller of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. In 1951 he was recorded as living at Falconer’s House, St James’s Court, London, S.W. John Thomas Woolrych Perowne died in 1954.