Ron attended the Board School, Street. As a child he played games in the street outside his home in Glaston Road, with hoops and skipping ropes. His school headmaster used a cane on the tips of the children’s fingers, and they had slates to write on. In this clip Ron describes a Sunday school outing to Burnham-on-Sea. With the advent of the railways in the 1840s and 1850s, the Somerset seaside resort became a popular destination for day-trippers.
Ernest Lampert, Win’s late husband, was born in 1900. Ernest was a stonecutter at Lampert’s quarry at Higher Brooks Road, Street. His father bought a field and orchard in about 1900 and quarried blue lias stone from it. His two sons, Ernest and Reg, worked in the quarry until it closed in the late ’50s. The stone was dug out by hand transported around Somerset by horse and cart, lorry, and train. The men worked all year around but were unable to work in wet weather, because the slippery stone became impossible to lift.
Marwood Brown was born in Keinton Mandeville (1924). At the age of fourteen he attended the Strode Continuation School in Street, where the pupils went to school for half a day, and worked in Clark’s or Morland’s shoe factories for the other half. Marwood’s father was a shoemaker in Keinton Mandeville, taking over the family business, which was started by Marwood’s grandfather in the 1900s.