Today the remnants of the old market cross at Maiden Newton, Dorset have been moved from middle of the road to prevent damage by traffic. The following description and history of this listed monument was published by Alfred Pope in 1906.
The three sided War Memorial at Maiden Newton, Dorset was build to comemorate the men of Maiden Newton and Frome Vauchurch who gave their lives during the War. A plaque was later added to the men who died in the Second World War.
Rail enthusiasts marked the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Bridport line. A special information poster was unveiled at Maiden Newton railway station by relative Ken Goff, one of many associated with the railway at Maiden Newton, Dorset.
Read the full story in the Dorset Echo
The Social History of the People of The Southern Counties of England in Past Centuries by George Roberts was publish in 1856. The following incident occurred in my home village of Maiden Newton in 1631.
Born Edwin George Arnold Denty at Maiden Newton, Dorset in 1883, George was the illegitimate son of 16 year old Alice Edith Denty who had been working as a domestic servant at Portsmouth, Hampshire. George was raised at Maiden Newton by his grandparents, Edward Denty and Ann Arnold Cornick with whom he was living in 1891. His mother having married Charles Morris at Maiden Newton on February 11, 1888 and was living at Sandhills, Cattistock, Dorset with her husband and their two young children.
Bessie Sicilia Coombes was born in Pontypridd, South Wales, on May 15th 1910, the eldest daughter of George Coombs and Florrie House from Maiden Newton, Dorset, who had moved to South Wales to find work in the mines. George Coombes was an ex-soldier of the Dorsetshire regiment who had served in the Tirah Campaign and Bessies unusual second name came from the troopship on which he returned to England.
Henry, or as he was better known Lew, was born on 3rd March 1910 at West Compton, Dorset, England the second youngest of eight children of farm labourer Frederick William Tompkins and his wife Annie Linda Eyers. He was christened at West Compton and early schooling was at nearby Wynford Eagle.