Archaeologists working for the National Trust think they have found west Dorset’s oldest human settlement on Doghouse Hill on the Golden Cap estate.
Rodney Legg tells how wartime reminiscing enabled him to re-write the story of one of the most famous disasters of the Second World War and claim it for Dorset.
Hilary Townsend remembers Irene Jones, a model for anyone interested in Dorset’s local history.
Keith Eldred describes what Sunday morning service was like for a young boy in the 1880s and 1890s
‘Once you’re through the Gate on the Hill the road runs along the top of the outside earthwork of the Ancient British camp on top of Eggardon. After about five hundred yards it disappears from view as it drops down into the village’, are the opening lines of Harry Poole’s The Road across the Top.
Author Harry Poole spent most of his life farming around Eggardon Hill and is a fund of knowledge with regard to the history of Powerstock and it’s surrounding villages. Apart from the four Powerstock booklets he has written two novels and two plays, none of which have found a publisher. The booklets can however be read on-line. Powerstock, in this essay, comprises Nettlecombe, West Milton, North Poorton, Wytherstone, Mappercombe and Whetley.
The following extract was originally published in A guide to the coasts of Hants & Dorset by Mackenzie Edward C. Walcott in 1859 and digitized by Google on March 19, 2007.
Poole “Carnival” Poole Park 1937 The film opens with the Barnardo’s Home Navy Band marching from the Jellico House in Constitution Hill Road To Poole Park .The parade is moving east to west.Floats ,Beauty Queen,and civic dignitaries abound. This film was taken by the pre-war local amateur film photographer Lee Hartnell
This article on Swanage and the surrounding area by W. Armstrong Willis first appeared in The Gentleman’s Magazine, Published by F. Jefferies in 1889.
A Nigth-time operation considered to have been key to the success of the D-Day landings during World War Two 65 years ago will be remembered at the long since disused Tarrant Rushton airfield where it started.