The following obituary appeared on March 24, 1877 in The Law Times, Volume LXII, page 378.
This account of a patent issued to Messrs. Reeves, of Bratton, Wiltshire was first published in The London Journal of Arts, Sciences and Manufactures and Repertory of Patent Inventions conducted by Mr. W. Newton of the Office for patents, Chancery lane, London in 1852.
Joshua Cecil Whitaker was born in 1841 at Bratton, Wiltshire, England the second son of Joshua Whitaker and Jane Saffery. His father was a prominent local farmer, having some 950 acres and employing 36 men. His mother was the daughter of Baptist minister John Saffrey of Salisbury, Wiltshire and his hymn writing wife Maria Grace Andrews.
Henry Whitaker was baptised on November 2, 1642 at Bratton, Wiltshire, England the seventh of eight children of John Whitaker and second wife Margaret Aldridge. There were also three children from his first marriage to Dionise Aldridge, believed to be Margaret’s sister. About 1664 Henry married Ann Blatch of Bratton, daughter of Phillip Blatch and Maude Liddiard, a union which was to produce ten children.
Marjorie Ethel Reeves was born at Bratton, Wiltshire on July 17, 1905 the second daughter of Robert John W. Reeves and Edith Sarah Whitaker. Her father’s family owned and ran a successful iron works in the village making agricultural machinery. Her mothers family could trace its continuous presence in Bratton from 1576. Marjorie was brought up in Wiltshire and educated at the High School for Girls in Trowbridge before studying modern history at St Hugh’s College, Oxford.
Alfred Whitaker was born on 27 Jul 1799, at Bratton, Wiltshire, England, the son of Philip Whitaker and Anne Andrews. The first recorded evidence that Alfred Whitaker was practising as a solicitor in Frome, Somerset is on May 6, 1823, Alfred Whitaker, Solicitor, Frome and his clerk J. Buller are witnesses to the will of James Clement, Clothier of Frome. Both of them were also witnesses to a codicil to the will dated March 22, 1825. The will was proved on May 11, 1825 by the executors at PCC London.