Cuthbert Rose of Cocklake, Wedmore produced traditional cider for most of the last century. In this recording Cuthbert Rose describes the mill he used to grind up the apples before they were pressed. The Day Iron Foundry in nearby Mark made the mill. The foundry produced a variety of agricultural implements, some of which are on display at the Somerset Rural Life Museum, Glastonbury. Mr Rose used wooden shovels to shovel out the apple pomace from the mill into the cider press. Wooden shovels were used because metal shovels would taint and even poison the cider. It took two men to turn the wheels of the mill.
Much has been written about RMS Titanic, but this has tended to concentrate on the ship and its passengers. Using sources such as crew lists, local newspapers, Titanic Fund minute books and the newly released 1911 census, this podcast from the National Archives traces the lives of a crewmen and his family and seeks to answer the question: What was life like for families in Southampton in the aftermath of the tragedy?
Poole “Carnival” Poole Park 1937 The film opens with the Barnardo’s Home Navy Band marching from the Jellico House in Constitution Hill Road To Poole Park .The parade is moving east to west.Floats ,Beauty Queen,and civic dignitaries abound. This film was taken by the pre-war local amateur film photographer Lee Hartnell
Cuthbert Rose was born in 1907. He produced traditional cider on his farm in Cocklake, a hamlet near Wedmore. Philippa Legg recorded Cuthbert in conjunction with her book ‘Cider Making in Somerset’. In this clip Cuthbert is talking about the barrels used in cider making, and the fermentation process.
2.4 million people in Wales were recorded in the census taken on the night of April 2, 1911. The records of those people living in all 13 of the Welsh counties in 1911 are now available online at www.1911census.co.uk, where they join the 1911 census records from England first released in January 2009.
Rare colour film of the invasion forces, many of whom embarked from Weymouth and Portland,
Ernest Redwood started working on a farm when he was twelve years old at a wage of sixpence a week. He helped with everything, milking, ploughing, cider making and sheep shearing. Ernest lived in Milverton all his life. His father kept two pigs a year that were slaughtered. His mother would cure the pigs and prepare hams and pork. Lard was made from the pigs fat and she used to make ‘scrap cakes’ with the lard.
Whilst clearing out a friend’s house in Bournemouth following her death, Robert Mott found a letter by Betty Marston, who served in the RAF as an armoury truck driver. The letter is a fascinating account of the D-Day landings.
Bill Redding ran a blacksmiths shop in Lime Street, Nether Stowey, a village on the northern edge of the Quantocks. He and his father did the metal work for gates, bonded wheels for the wheelwright, repaired ovens, shoed carthorses, and looked after the local hunt’s horses. Bill Redding retired in 1976 after working in the shop for 53 years. At the time this recording was made the blacksmith’s in Nether Stowey was still operating.