In 1820, J Criswick published ‘A walk around Dorchester’, described as Containing an Account of Every Thing Worthy the observation of the traveller and Antiquary, within that ancient tow and the circumference of a few miles, compiled from the best authrities. This is his description of Kingston (Maurward) House.
KINGSTON HOUSE, the seat of William Morton PITT, Esq. M. P. is an elegant and stately pile, the walls of which are built with brick, and cased with Portland stone. It was built by George Pitt, Esq. of Stratfield Say, which was commenced in the year 1717, and finished about 1720. It is very pleasantly situated on a rising ground near the great western road, distant from Dorchester one mile and a quarter. The form is an oblong square, 101 feet by 62, and is surrounded by avenues of trees, which, in every quarter, render the views agreeable and romantic. The gardens behind the house are pleasant and extensive, adorned with terraces, a large bason, and canals ; and, from a branch of the river Frome running near it, there is a plentiful supply of water.