The January 1842 edition of The British Magazine and Monthly Register of Religious and Ecclesiastical Information reported on a service held at Burton Bradstock, Dorset, England on behalf of the new village school.
On Sunday, December. 5, 1841 the venerable the Archdeacon of Dorset preached in the church of Burton Bradstock, on behalf of the school recently opened there.
A large congregation was present, and about 150 children belonging to tbe school. Tbe Archdeacon delivered a highly appropriate and most impressive sermon, giving to the parents, and, in fact, to all classes, a most salutary lesson on tbe importance of educating the poor in the sound doctrines of the established church. A liberal collection was afterwards made.
There has been no school-room or school in tbe parish for some years; and the present establishment, which has been much promoted by the active exertions of the Rev. R. W. James, the curate, has been chiefly erected through the liberality of Lord Rivers and the estimable rector, his lordship having given the site and £40, and the rector £20. towards the fund, and other persons smaller sums. Tbe school is both a Sunday and daily school, and holds forth every prospect of being eminently useful in the parish.