The description of Berkley, Somerset, England which follow is taken from ‘Somersetshire Delineated’, published in 1822 by Christopher and John Greenwood, Surveyors, a Tophographical Description of each Town, Parish, Chapelry, etc. in the county.
A parish in the hundred of Frome, 2½ miles N.E. from Frome, containing 94 inhabited houses, and 109 families, 6O of whom are employed in agriculture. This parish is situated on the borders of Wiltshire, and extends to the river Frome westward. The lands are mostly pasture, and the soil various. The Rev. J. M. Rogers resides at Berkley-house; and about a mile and a half north is Standerwick-court, the residence of H. F. E. Edgell, Esq. The church is a neat modern building, dedicated to St. Mary, built in 1751. Its dimensions are forty-one feet square; over the centre is an octagonal dome, supported by four Ionic columns, and terminated by a skylight; and at the westward is a neat tower, with ballustrade railing. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome; the Rev. J. M. Rogers is both patron and incumbent. Population, 1801, 598 — 1811, 577 — 1821, 550, exclusive of Standerwick.
In the census of 1811, Berkley and Standerwick. made a joint return, but they have lately been separated, in consequence of a new county-rate arrangement; therefore, in addition to the above return, in 1821, Standerwick. contains 14 houses, 15 families, and 86 inhabitants, making the total population of Berkley, 636.