The description of Buckland Dinham, Somerset, England which follow is taken from ‘Somersetshire Delineated’, published in 1822 by Christopher and John Greenwood, Surveyors, a Tophographical Description of each Town, Parish, Chapelry, etc. in the county.
A parish in the hundred of Kilmersdon, 2½ miles N. W. from Frome; containing 93 inhabited houses, and 96 families, 9 of whom are employed in agriculture, and 83 in trade, manufacture, or handicraft. The turnpike-road from Bristol to Frome runs through the village, which consists of a long street of indifferent houses. It formerly was a large and very considerable place, having a market on Tuesdays, a fair which continued three days, and a large manufacture of woollen cloth; likewise a market cross, and town-hall wherein the assizes were frequently held. It received its designation from the Denhams, its ancient lords, who resided here in a large mansion long since destroyed. The principal part of the population is employed in the cultivation of teasles, which are used in the woollen manufactory. The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and consists of a nave, chancel, and side aisles, with a tower at the west end containing five bells. The living is a vicarage and a peculiar, in the deanery of Frome, belonging to the prebendary; Rev. R. A. Burney, incumbent; instituted 1817. Population, 1801, 429 — 1811, 403 — 1821, 440.