This description of Wellow, Somerset in 1891 was published in Somersetshire, part of the County Topograpy series edited by E.R. Kelly.
WELLOW is a parish and pleasant village, with a station on the Somerset and Dorset Extension railway, 108 miles from London, 5 south from Bath, in the Eastern division of the county, Wellow hundred, Bath union and county court district, Frome rural deanery, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of St. Julian is an old stone building, in the Anglo-Norman style : it was restored and rebuilt A.D. 1370, and again restored in 1845: it has a chancel, nave, aisles, tower with 6 bells, clock and porch, and contains several monuments to the Hungerford family : there are the original oak open seats, and a beautifully carved ancient oak roof. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £355, with residence and 60 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Rev. J. A. Wallace, and held by the Rev. George William Horton, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. There is a National school for the parish, endowed with £12 per annum. The Wesleyans and Methodist Free Church have each a place of worship. Here is Bray’s Down coal pit, which is in full work, the property of D. C. Waite, eaq. The Manor house, formerly the residence of the Hungerford family, contains some fine oak carvings: it was erected in 1634, and is now the property of J. G. Willis, esq. There is a Celtic burying-place on the manor of Stony Littleton, and a Roman villa, in very good preservation, on the land of W. 8. Gore Langton, esq., J.P. A fair is held on the 17th of October, yearly, principally for sheep. W. S. Gore Langton, esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is loamy, and the subsoil sandstone and blue lias. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats, and about one third pasture. The area is 5,292 acres; rateable value, £9,193; and the population in 1871 was 1,117.
HASSAGE, 2 miles south-east; STONEY LITTLETON, 1 mile south ; TWINNET, 1 mile north; WHITE OXMEAD, 1 mile west; SHOSCOMBE, 1 mile and a half south-west; WOODBOROUGH (partly in this parish), 3 miles south-west; and SINGLE HILL, 2 miles south, are hamlets in this parish.
A Chapel of Ease, or School Church, has been erected at the hamlet of Shoscombe, and a Mixed school.