This description of Writhlington, Somerset in 1891 was published in Somersetshire, part of the County Topographies series edited by E.R. Kelly.
WRITHLINGTON is a small parish and village, 117 miles from London, one mile west from Radstock railway station, 7 north-west from Frome railway station, 8 southwest from Bath, in the Eastern division of the county, Kilmersdon hundred, Frome union and county court district, Frome rural deanery, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells.
The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a small stone building, in the Decorated style, rebuilt and enlarged in 1874, and consists of chancel, with vestry on the north side, nave, north aisle, and an open belfry containing 2 bells, and south porch. The register dates from the year 1690. The living is a rectory, yearly value £106, with residence, 28 acres of glebe, and a share of coal worked under the glebe, in the gift of the prebendary of Writhlington, in Salisbury Cathedral, and held by the Rev. Henry Butterworth Whiting, B.A., of Christ’s College, Cambridge. Here is a National school for boys and girls. Coal abounds, and is extensively worked by a company.
This parish belongs to the prebend of Writhlington, in the cathedral church of Salisbury, and Lord Hyltun is the present lessee. The soil is various, the greater portion of the parish being light, lying on the inferior oolite, under which is bastard freestone. The crops are a succession of grain. The area is 772 acres ; rateable value, £6,346; and the population in 1871 was 401.